PHILLIPS UNIVERSITY

REUNION 2014 »

06/20/14

JUNE 20, 2014

SHOPPING MALL ALERT »

04/07/14

LIMITED QUANTITIES

February 2014 Trivia Answers »

02/26/14

The first person to provide correct answers to each question wins!

SAVE THE DATE »

June 20, 2014 at

 

PUAFA on Facebook

PULF on Facebook

PULF on Twitter

 

The History of Phillips University

College of the Bible

For almost a decade the College of the Bible at Phillips University in Enid molded Christian leaders in its undergraduate program and Graduate Seminary affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Seniors and graduates held student pastorates in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas, and faculty members also regularly filled pulpits.

 

In 1951, the College of the Bible moved into the Marshall Building, an Enid landmark, which houses the Bivens Chapel with its inspirational stained glass teaching windows.

Phillips Graduate Seminary

The Phillips Graduate Seminary program separated from the University in 1987, becoming Phillips Graduate Seminary. The Phillips undergraduate program was renamed the Religion and Philosophy Department. Phillips Graduate Seminary opened a second campus adjacent to the University of Tulsa campus.

 

Phillips Theological Seminary

Phillips Graduate Seminary’s name was changed to Phillips Theological Seminary in 1995. In 1997 the seminary consolidated it operations into a single campus in Tulsa.

 

Phillips Theological Seminary is an accredited institution of higher education, affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), whose purpose is to prepare men and women for varied Christian ministries in church and society. One single aim dominates its educational programs: to help the church make the Christian faith effective in human life and society through a competent, educated ministry.

Phillips Theological Seminary

Phillips Theological Seminary
901 N. Mingo Road
Tulsa, OK 74116
(918)610-8303

 

 

Excerpts from In Reverence We Stand – Memories of Phillips University

By: Bob Burke and Kenny A. Franks; Foreword by: David L. Boren

The following are excerpts from the beautiful "In Reverence We Stand – Memories of Phillips University". These, and many other memories and historical facts, plus memorabilia are available for purchase in our » Shopping Mall.

Chapter 1 :: The Vision

» "I am going to start an entirely new school for the Brotherhood, and Oklahoma will be that place!"

» The trustees solicited bids from any community interested in becoming the school's home.


Chapter 2 :: Oklahoma Christian Unversity

No enteries input


Chapter 3 :: New Name, Same Mission

» Wolfinger also wrote and produced numerous plays presented by the university's comedy class.


Chapter 4 :: Early Campus Life

» One of the most famous of the early students at OCU was Marquis James

» T.H. Mathieson became the church's first full-time minister in 1920.

» Incoming freshmen at Phillips were subjected to “Frosh Initiation”

» Card games, smoking, liquor and dancing were prohibited.


Chapter 5 :: The Roaring Twenties

» Jefferson D. Hoy Lamb, of China, became the first Oriental to graduate from Phillips.


Chapter 6 :: Hard Times: The Great Depression

No enteries input


Chapter 7 :: World War II

» Ground was broken for the new building on October 11, 1940.


Chapter 8 :: Post-war Growth

» Phillips Speech and Hearing Center was built in 1956

» Moore hitchhiked 200 miles each way from Enid to Snyder

» The success of its graduates proved its academic excellence.

» Nancy returned to the campus in the 1960s as a student.

» In the spring of 1947, the Camelot Club for men was organized.

» The Friendship Fire truly represented the power of friendships formed at Phillips.

» "This was typical of the seminary faculty and students. We were family!"

» Phillips Ambassadors to tour the region and promote music education at Phillips

» Phillips University Science Camp was established in the Rocky Mountains of southern Colorado

» Students traveled from all over the country to study in the mountains.

» Lois Moore Wimpey remembered that residents of the trailers had a central bathhouse.


Chapter 9 :: A New Generation: The Sixties and Seventies

» In 1963, the new four-story Zollars Memorial Library was completed

» Autumn Leaves, sponsored by Tenth Muse, provided students with the opportunity to attend the first semi-formal dance ̴

» In January, 1972, the newly remodeled Coach House, the student center, was opened.

» President Gantz always considered his service at Phillips as a ministry.

» On September 30, 1975, the new Hallie G. Gantz Student Center was opened during Homecoming.

» A new indoor athletic facility, the Mabee Center, was dedicated in 1979.


Chapter 10 :: Economic Woes: The Eighties and Nineties

» In the fall of 1980, a group of Phillips students formed the Philia Dona Clown Alley, better known as P.D. Clown Alley.

» Dr. Fred Craddock authored several books on religious life.

» In 1989, Phillips established a 12-acre branch campus at the Kyoto Institute.

» The 13:1 student/faculty ratio provided a highly-regarded, personalized program of study.


Chapter 11 :: A Christian Learning Experience

No enteries input


Chapter 12 :: Excellence in Sports

» In 1953 Joe Record, became Phillip's head basketball coach and athletic director.

» Steve Owen was All-State guard for Phillips in 1918 and 1919.


Chapter 13 :: The End of an Era

No enteries input


Chapter 14 :: The Legacy Continues

No enteries input