Join the movement and give. Share the news using the power of social media!
Phillips University Legacy Scholars for 2016-2017
Here are the June 2016 Q&A
No events scheduled…
|<< Show All|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|<< Back to Recently Deceased|
|White, Leonard Leroy||FS|
D.O.D 12/19/2011 - Leonard Leroy White of Blackwell, OK, died Monday evening, Dec. 19, 2011. Leonard Leroy White was born on Sept. 17, 1914, in Billings, OK, to Charles Leroy and Winona Faye (Enfield) White. he graduated from Blackwell High School in 1932. He furthered his education by attending Phillips University in Enid where he worked his way through school by selling shoes and working as a school night watchman. He married Virginia Frances West in Berryville, AR on June 29, 1939. Early in 1941 he became band director in Tonkawa before joining the United States Navy in 1942 with the advent of World War II. For the next three years he served as a teacher specialist at the Naval Air Base in Dallas, TX. After his discharge in 1945, he joined his father in the farm implement business and commuted to Lamont as instrumental music director. He later entered the Blackwell Public School system where he served as principal of Park School.
Following the 1955 tornado which destroyed the school, Leonard continued serving as principal of the hastily formed Parkside Elementary School which met in local churches. The next year he became principal of Lovett Junior High School and a short time later was asked to serve as interim superintendent of schools. He was hired as superintendent, subsequently, and held the position until 1967.
During this same period, he pursued courses at Oklahoma State University and earned his doctorate of education degree in the spring of 1967.
He later worked as business manager becoming an administrative assistant for the university. After taking partial retirement, he returned to Blackwell but continued with Northwestern as director of research and development. He later traveled as the university's recruiting representative before his ultimate retirement.
He was a member of the First Christian Church in Blackwell where he was a member of the building committee for the present church, taught a men's Sunday School class, served as an elder and chairman of the church board. He also served as church administrator and directed the church choir.