1. On October 9, 1957, as part of the semi-centennial celebration, the cornerstone for this well known building was laid. One year later on October 9, 1958 this building was dedicated on Founder's Day.
Answer: Briggs Auditorium
2. Selected from a field of more than 70 candidates this person became the seventh president of PU on October 10, 1979.
Answer: Dr. Joe R. Jones
3. On October 3, 1914, Oklahoma Christian University (later named Phillips University) officially launched it intercollegiate football program by losing to this team, 134 - 0. (Ouch)
Answer: Oklahoma A&M, now Oklahoma State University
4. Under the coaching leadership of John F. Maulbetsch, 1919 became the greatest season in PU football history capped by a 10-0 victory over this team on October 11.
Answer: University of Texas
5. President McCash launched a program to raise $1 million in endowment money. This campaign began in September of 1924 and by October of 1926 had cash and pledges of more than $1.2 million. What was the name of this fundraising campaign?
Answer: Phillips University Endowment Crusade
All of the these answers can be found in the book In Reverence We Stand - Memories of Phillips University.
And the Winners are...
Rev. Dr. Alan Mace, 1968 Phillips University Alumnus of Athens, GA,
Nancy DeArman, 1969 Phillips University Alumna of Tucson, AZ.
A special prize is on the way!
Thanks to everyone that participated.
Watch for the next trivia contest in your inbox on November 15th, 2020.