1. During what school year did Phillips field both intercollegiate basketball & baseball teams for the first time?
2. The University's football team & other athletic teams went by this name until 1915.
Answer: The Lions
3. The name 'Haymakers' took hold with the football team in 1915 because . . .
Answer: the football field was used as a hay meadow in the off season.
4. In 1916, the Haymakers hosted which major league baseball team, losing 8-4?
Answer: Chicago White Sox
5. This 1919 PU football standout went on to become President of the United States Olympic Committee and a member of the International Olympic Committee.
Answer: Doug Roby
All of the these answers can be found in the book In Reverence We Stand - Memories of Phillips University.
And the Winners are...
Lois Moore Wimpey, 1963 Phillips University Alumna of Shawnee Mission, KS,
Rick Schriever, 1978 Phillips University Alumnus of Liberty Hill, TX.
A special prize is on the way!
Thanks to everyone that participated.
Watch for the next trivia contest in your inbox on August 15th, 2020.